Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Burberry detail

The Burberry moment

If it was winter time I would dedicate a post to white trench coats. It’s an old attraction, from those days when I used to read Dick Tracy’s comic books and I would be impressed by any hero that would beat up a bunch of bad guys and showed up holding a good looking woman. But today I’ll stick with that neckpiece detail. Hardly any American label could ever compete with the elegance of that British pattern. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy those fat letters referring to the big American universities, and I’m even willing to pay 20 or 30 dollars for such a souvenir, with “Yale” or “Berkeley” stamped on and (I’m pretty sure) Hanes or Fruit of the Loom tags on it. I just don’t feel qualified to pay out 100 or 200 euros to advertise whatever brand it is on my chest. But for that pattern…
P.S.- I’ve checked it out in several sources, it really was Thomas Burberry that invented the trench coat (1880)

No comments: